Thursday, February 21, 2008

More On BPA And Other Toxins

I brought up the bad news about plastic and Bisphenol A (BPA) but I did not bring up any solutions. The best course of actions seems to be gathering information and avoiding toxins. According to The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP) plastics with the recycle symbols 3, 6, and 7 should be avoided. For more specific information go to IATP's website and read the following PDF's: Smart Plastics Guide, Smart Meat and Dairy Guide, Smart Produce Guide, and Smart Fish Guide. Here is another article that I thought was informative Plastics and Children: Friend Or Foe.
I'm starting to feel like chicken little, but I think it's worth passing on the information. I am making a move back to all natural, organic, hormone free ect. Being in the field of Cosmetology I am also taking a look at my cosmetics. What I have found so far is not encouraging. Did you know that none of the cosmetics that we use has to be approved for safety by the FDA before hitting the market? There is a searchable cosmetics safety database called Skin Deep where you can research your cosmetics ingredients and see if and how toxic they are. Also you might want to check out these books: Not Just A Pretty Face the Ugly Side Of the Beauty Industry, Exposed: The Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Products and What's at Stake for American Power and the Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients: Complete Information About the Harmful and Desirable Ingredients Found in Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals.
I don’t know for certain if there is a direct cause and effect between environmental toxins and my getting fibroids. However I do believe that constant exposure to toxins might pose some health ricks for me and that putting effort into reducing my exposure to toxins could over all be good for my health.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: