Monday, March 24, 2008

Glamour Magazine: Find a better birth control

Found an article on birth control in a recent copy of Glamour magazine. It covers Barrier Methods, Hormonal Methods, and Long-Term Methods of birth control with reviews from women who use them.

I have not used hormonal methods of birth control for several years. Not using the pill may have made me more susceptible to developing uterine fibriods. Read: Risk Factors for Uterine Fibroids Same as Those For Endometrial Cancer, New Pill Study Finds. After my diagnosis of uterine fibriods I was put on the pill in the hopes that it would stop the bleeding. I asked and was told the the pill would not effect the size of my fibriods. I was on the pill for about six months and not only did the bleeding not stop it got worse. Also I could feel and see (as my abdomen area started to expand, like I was pregnant) my fibriods getting bigger! I have been off the pill for about 3 months now, doing my regimen, and I've seen marked improvement. I am not advocating any particular method. By not using hormonal birth control I am doing what I think is best for my body right now.

Here is another article on Birth Control Pills and Uterine Fibroids. It has a better list of hormanal birth control side effects however in regards to the pill promoting the growth of existing uterine fibriods it says this:

Birth control pills, also called oral contraceptives, control the body's estrogen and progesterone levels (progestin is a synthetic form of the body's progesterone). Even though estrogen and progestin have a role in uterine fibroid growth, birth control pills do not affect the size of fibroids. However, birth control pill use improves heavy menstrual bleeding, which can be caused by uterine fibroids.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: